Image Source | The Baker Chick
I'm kicking February off with a Valentines inspired sweet treat every Sunday of this month. Not into it? Then I suggest you maybe avert your eyes from the blog for the next four Sundays, ha!
We've all heard of red velvet right? Well what about pink velvet? I'm totally game to try these beauties out. Also I was thinking of exchanging the vanilla extract for Strawberry.
Pink Velvet Cupcakes
Serves 20-24 | To prepare 10-15mins | To cook
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon pink paste food colouring
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons milk or cream
- a drop of red food colouring
- sprinkles for decorating
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and food colouring until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the centre comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the butter until creamy and pale.
- Add the powdered sugar. Mixture will be dry so add the vanilla and milk and food colouring gradually until frosting reaches a good piping and frosting consistency.
- Decorate cooled cupcakes with frosting and sprinkles.
Sunday sister catch up today...good times!
Have a good one guys!